In addition to the requirements and application materials listed in the Graduate Admission section of this catalog, the following are required:
- A required cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above for undergraduate degrees and for any graduate study work
- 3 letters of reference, one personal, one educational, and one professional
- A professional resume
- A written letter of intent/purpose that includes a clear statement of short-term and long-term professional goals and explains the applicant’s motivation in seeking admission to the program.
- A personal interview after submission of items 1-4 (in-person interview for local students; by telephone and/or email for non-local/out of state students; by email for international students).
Prerequisites for Admission
At least 15 semester hours or a minimum of 5 courses in Child Development or related fields approved by the chairperson.
- At least 15 semester hours or a minimum of 5 courses in Child Development or related fields approved by the M.S., Child Life Chairperson.
- 1 to 2 years of professional work experience with children in educational institutions or related institutions approved by the M.S., Child Life Chairperson.
- Completion of the pre-admission questions and possible in-hospital visitation by the prospective candidate.
- A writing assessment with the chairperson.
- Preferred Child Life hospital volunteer experience.
- Language proficiency (TOEFL IBT 80, IELTS 6.5, ELS level 112, or equivalent)
- Credential evaluation is needed for international transcripts
The following items are required for an I-20 student visa:
- Financial statement (within the last six months)
- Bank statement (within the last six months)
- Copy of passport