Skip to main content

Master of Science inChild Life

The Master of Science in Child Life equips graduates to make a difference in the lives of medically fragile and hospitalized children. A Certified Child Life Specialist, part of the medical team, strives to educate and help children and their families cope with health care issues, thereby minimizing potential stress and anxiety.

Working with other healthcare professionals, the Child Life Specialist helps children and adolescents minimize anxiety, maintain relationships with their families, and retain their independence and self- esteem. The Child Life Specialist is a clinical educator who provides developmental interventions to help patients and families understand and cope with traumatic experiences, always respecting and honoring diversity and the family system. The Master’s in Child Life program welcomes diverse students from local, national, and international locations. The program is certificated by the Association of Child Life Professionals, and all courses are taught by a Certified Child Life Specialist.

Admission Requirements

Prospective students in the area are encouraged to attend an information session.

Out-of-the-area, out-of-state, and international prospective students are encouraged to complete the application process. Dr. Leslie Anne Young, the MS Child Life Program Chair, will then be in contact once your application is complete.

The Masters’ Program in Child Life welcomes applicants to apply for admission by submitting the following:

  1. A required cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above for undergraduate degrees and for any graduate study work
  2. 3 letters of reference, one personal, one educational, and one professional
  3. A professional resume
  4. A written letter of intent/purpose that includes a clear statement of short-term and long-term professional goals and explains the applicant’s motivation in seeking admission to the program.
  5. A personal interview after submission of items 1-4 (in-person interview for local students; by telephone and/or email for non-local/out of state students; by email for international students).